About Thoughts Before Student Teaching Beauty School 101

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Beauty School Week One: Done and Done


My first day of school was terrifying.

I will readily admit that without shame. I had no idea what to expect. I had no idea what kind of atmosphere I was walking into.  But my main reason for the many butterflies in my tummy was that before January 13th, I hadn't been in a classroom in, oh, 12 years.

Yeah.

In the end I had no reason to be so nervous because although my first day was like a swift kick in the pants, there wasn't a minute during my 8 hours there when I felt overwhelmed.

On the contrary, my first day was wonderful! I've been moving and thinking non-stop since I started at Paul Mitchell and I can't remember a time where I've had more fun.

This whole week I've been swimming in this wonderful feeling of rightness, like I've really found my niche. And I think I have. I totally belong there. I'm already sad that this will only last a year.

Having this opportunity to attend and learn at Paul Mitchell is a dream. The culture there is an everyday pick-me-up. My teachers are all super positive and motivating, and I couldn't ask for a better group of classmates.

Last Monday was scary and new and it gave me a head-ache.  Today, a full week later, I can safely say that I'm no longer 'New Girl Becca', I know the building like it's a second home, and the dreaded Monday blues no longer have any sway over me because there's just too much fun to be had.

And what do I mean by fun? Massages, pin curls, french and fishtail braids, teasing, and finger waves. The rest of the week was spent adjusting to the Paul Mitchell culture--learning about the brand, figuring out the dress code, and organizing supplies.

Some tidbits from my week:

Favorite (beauty) blog post: After I read this review by Katie, I immediately bought a tube of Illamasqua lipstick in Shard. It's the most expensive lipstick I own (totaling a whopping $26) and you better believe I treasure it. A quick swipe makes it look like you just snacked on a delicious berry, and a few coats build up to a rich, matte Oxblood.

Inspiring me this week: My wardrobe for school has to be all black. Regardless of color, I've been looking to this blogger for style inspiration. I love every single outfit she wears. So effortless and beautiful.

Go-to hairstyle right now: These days, I'm kind of in a pickle with my hair--it is neither short, nor is it long. I've had to be very experimental and ingenious with my hairstyles--no bedhead (or ponytails!) allowed at school. I took inspiration from this pin and it has been my go-to style for days now. Lots of compliments to be had, ladies.

Next week is color week! Stay tuned...

--Becca

photo credit: dno1967b via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment