About Thoughts Before Student Teaching Beauty School 101

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Beauty School Week Three: Square Cuts and Tri-Grads

Oh, my goodness, I cannot believe I've been at this for three weeks. I've basically had a whole month of non-stop fun, something I don't expect to stop anytime soon. 

Core, the program where all Future Professionals begin their career, is preparing for our written tests that is in two weeks. Yikes. After graduating from Core, we'll move onto the next level where my classmates and I will begin taking appointments and applying what we've learned on real guests.

I have no words for I feel about that. Definitely excited. Appropriately nervous. 

This week was five whole days of hair cutting; three women's cuts, and two techniques for a man's cut. Below are two of my women's cuts: a square one length cut and a triangular graduation. I learned that square one length cuts are great for fine hair. Tri-grads are great for adding volume. Which one is your favorite?






I really can't decide what I love more: chemical applications or hair cutting. And soon enough, I'll start playing with makeup, too. I cannot wait for that. Bobbi Brown is my idol and makeup artistry is why I looked into cosmetology in the first place!

It's definitely a plus that so far, I love all that I'm learning.  But what do I do when I'm out of school? I thought that I would find a skill that I was totally and completely good at and specialize in it. Nowadays, I don't think I'll be happy unless I get to do it all.

Quote of the week: Julia Child said "Find something you're passionate about and stay tremendously interested in it." Of course, the quote is all over Pinterest...I think this one will be my desktop background for a while.

Working on: Booking appointments for March! I'm asking all of my friends to come in for a style.

My energy levels: I won't lie. I'm absolutely exhausted. But that's okay, because my support system has grown exponentially, and there is always someone to keep encouraging me. I can hardly keep track of all the techniques we go through from week to week. I never knew there was this much to cosmetology. It really is a technical skill that not everyone can do. There is a lot to learn, but it's a great way to express your creativity every day.

Most interesting thing I've learned so far: Probably men's cuts. Weird, right? I couldn't help but wonder all week how to go about doing a men's cut. What I imagined was much more difficult than it actually is. It's all about that comb! And I much prefer cutting with scissors over clippers. Who knew?


photo credit: Nomadic Lass via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment